Essential oils are concentrated extracts derived from plants. They’ve become very popular for their potential health benefits.
Peppermint is an aromatic herb in the mint family. It’s a hybrid mint that’s a cross between spearmint and watermint. It can be found naturally in North America and Europe.
Peppermint essential oil can be extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant and is used for a variety of different purposes.
Peppermint oil can be found in a variety of forms. Some examples include:
- essential oils, a very concentrated form that can be used for aromatherapy or diluted and applied to the skin
- extracts, a more diluted form that can be used to add peppermint flavor to foods
- capsules, which can be taken as dietary supplements
Peppermint oil has a wide variety of uses. For example, it can be used as:
- a treatment for a variety of conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), nausea, and other digestive issues, as well as the common cold and headaches
- a topical application for relief from itching, muscle pain, and headache
- a flavoring agent in foods and in products such as mouthwashes
- a fresh, pleasing scent added to soaps and cosmetic products
Records of the use of mint plants for medicinal purposes go all the way back to the times of Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome